Thursday, June 16, 2011

Eating out can be hazardous...

I went to a conference yesterday on investing. Harry Markopoulous was the speaker. He is the man who attempted to turn in Bernie Madoff for the better of 10 years with no luck.  His story is amazing but ultimately it's one of perserverence. I think this is the case for heart health and weight control. It is a life long battle.

Markopoulous was very entertaining but the included lunch was probematic. They ran out of the vegetarian option and gave me some very tasty fried chicken with the usual fixings. This derailed me on my low fat day. But I must get back to perservering.

One way to perserver is to prepare food as often as possible. One of my favorite meals is quinoa (pronounced keen'wa). This is a seed that tastes like a grain. You cook it like rice but for far shorter (about 12 minutes). I like to add chopped tomatoes and parsley. You can add artichoke hearts but it will increase the fat content. Or you can add oil. Canola oil is a better choice than olive oil. Both are 100% fat but canola oil has about 40% less saturated fat though olive oil is also fairly low.

Quinoa is available in grocery stores but I get mine at Costco. It is suppose to be an outstanding food for diabetics as well. It has about 13% fat and contains much more protein than most grains. You can even make beer out of it!


June 15
Weight: 188lbs
Calories Burned: 2569
Calories Consumed: 2823
Protein: 15%
Carbs: 48%
Fat: 37%
Total Calorie Deficit: 6254

1 comment:

  1. Bob's Red Mill is in OR, so of course, it rocks!

    ReplyDelete