Tuesday, June 7, 2011

An apple a day and you still have to see the doctor

I dread all blood tests. For some reason no one has figured out how to do a cholesterol test without a needle. I had a routine doctor's appt. yesterday and had to go to the labs to have tests taken. Before my heart attack I had cholesterol of 260. Given my family history I knew I needed to lower it...and I did. They ran a test while I was in the hospital from my heart attack and I had lowered it to 214, a significant improvement but ultimately too little and too late. I am on Lipitor and that stuff works like magic. My cholesterol is as follows:
129 total
43 hdl
58 ldl
140 triglycerides

My cardiologist thinks Lipitor is a miracle drug and the more you take the better. I am on the max allowed dosage, 80 mg. When I asked why I was not on a higher dosage he told me that they had not run clinical trials on higher dosages and that appeared to be the only reason. He also explained that Lipitor makes the arteries slippery which in his opinion is more important than lowering cholesterol levels. When is the last time you had a cholesterol test? The LDL is the bad stuff and Lipitor really lowers it.

I got my body bugg working properly now so my actual calorie burn from June 5th was 2914 calories. I am hitting the ellipitical trainer for at least 30 minutes and trying to take the stairs whenever possible.
Monday June 6
Weight: 189 (still)
Calories consumed: 2018
Calories burned: 2808
Protein: 15%
Carbs: 73%
Fat: 12%
Total calorie deficit: 1604

No comments:

Post a Comment